- How will discipleship groups work?
- How do I sign up for a discipleship group?
- Now that I have my discipleship group partners, what do we do?
God has not made us to be alone and go through life alone. He has provided physical and spiritual families and friends for us to live life together and be a blessing to others.
Proverbs 27:17 says “Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another.” This implies that God has designed us with the need to be in relationships with one another. We need to be in spiritual relationships so we can constantly sharpen one another when we meet, fellowship, pray and interact so we can become more effective at doing God’s will in our lives.
If we allow ourselves to become blunt and dull, we will become less useful and effective for God’s service. Far too often, what passes as Christian fellowship is focused on food and fun without much sharpening of each other with the Word. So we want to help encourage you to intentionally spend more time together, encouraging, admonishing, praying and sharing God’s Word with each other so we can become sharper in the ministries God has called us to according to Hebrews 10:24-25, “And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.”
— Pastor Tim
Please watch Pastor Tim’s introduction to discipleship groups during our 2021 EM Winter Retreat:
How will discipleship groups work?
This year we will use the YouVersion Bible mobile app to read through the entire Bible together. The mobile app allows each discipleship group to see each other’s daily reading progress and reflections. Then each week, each discipleship group will meet virtually to discuss and share about their spiritual journey by answering a series of questions (see below).
How do I sign up for a discipleship group?
Please fill out this form to sign up! Pastor Tim or Diego will get in touch with you at the end of the year with your group members.
Now that I have my discipleship partners, what do we do?
Set up the Bible reading plan with your discipleship partners:
- Download the YouVersion Bible app by following the installation links here: https://www.youversion.com/the-bible-app/
- Add your discipleship partners as friends in the app. Here are the instructions for Android and iOS.
- One person (and only one!) from the group should “Start this plan”: THE BIBLE in a year
- The person who started the plan can now invite their discipleship partners to join the plan. Here are the instructions, follow the “Host to invite others after initial start” section.
Every day on your own:
- Read the daily assigned reading in the app
- In the app’s “Talk It Over”, share with your discipleship partners the answers to the following questions:
- What does this passage tell me about God?
- What does this passage demand of me?
- What can I pray for from this passage?
Every week during discipleship group meeting:
During your weekly meeting with your discipleship partners, you will have a short discussion about the previous Sunday’s sermon, discuss each of your spiritual journeys that week, and pray with each other. If you find it difficult to answer some of these questions, you can review and find encouragement in the relevant sermons on spiritual disciplines by Reverend Tim and the passage from which he preached on.
- Discuss application questions from previous Sunday’s sermon
- What stood out to you in this week’s Bible readings? What is God saying to you? What are you going to do about it?
- Passage: 2 Timothy 3:14-17; Sermon: Call To Get Back To The Bible
- Compared to last time we met, how is the quality of your relationship with God through Scripture and prayer? How can the group help?
- Passage: Psalm 1:1-6; Sermon: Call to Follow God
- Compared to last time we met, how is your progress at overcoming sin and temptation? How can the group help?
- Passage: 1 Peter 1:13-16; Sermon: Call To Holiness
- How have you loved and served others this week: at your church, in your family, with your friends, to strangers, and your enemies?
- Passage: Hebrews 10:19-25; Sermon: Call to Church Attendance
- Passage: 2 Corinthians 4:1-6; Sermon: Call To Evangelism
- Pray for each other, the church, and the world
- Passage: Colossians 1:9-11; Sermon: Call to Prayer
Please note, that due to the personal nature of sharing with one another, everything you share within your discipleship group is strictly confidential. It should not be shared outside of your group unless everyone in your group agrees to bring the matter to a pastor or elder for counselling or help as needed.